The boundaries of Capitol Square had been established in 1780 by Thomas Jefferson, but the monumental row of cast iron spears enclosing Capitol Square were not erected until 1818. The cast iron fence was designed by French emigre’ Paul Alexis Sabbaton and cast in New York. At the time, this was one of the longest fences in the nation and was a technical achievement. Winthrop, Robert P., Cast and Wrought, The Architectural Metalwork of Richmond, Virginia. The Valentine Museum, 1980.
Richmond Iron has accurately reproduced the cast iron roman spear bundle posts and spears for repairs and for extensions of the fence including new entrances.